11.13.2009

Story.

Due to a raving review from one of our favorite people, Adam and I are currently swept up by this book--you know, the latest work from this guy who gained notoriety from this book and who recently started this project...which just makes me like him even more.

Anyway, I've been looking forward to this book for awhile now and while the beginning was slow-going, it has quickly gained momentum. So much so that each chapter's end is followed by a unanimous "How about just one more?"

And I can't really put my finger on it quite yet but there is something simply gripping about Miller's idea of story--that we are all living our own stories and that in so many words, most of us would do well to live a better story.

What does that mean exactly? Well, I'm not sure yet, but I do know that there are times in my life when it is just so easy to play the character of the victim or the worrywart frozen by fear or maybe even the cynical damsel in distress (is that even a character? Bridget Jones-esque perhaps?)...but really, it is just me allowing myself to get swept up into playing a role that, to tell the truth, I don't even want to be playing. And what's more, it's exhausting. And what's even more, it is keeping me from the story I was created for in the first place. Which is to say it's keeping me from my part of the larger Story that I believe we are all telling. Together.

And I guess that's really all I have to say about that, and maybe it doesn't seem very noteworthy at all to anyone else, but for me, today, I cannot help but think that maybe me reading this book is a bit of much-needed rising action for my very own character arc.

And that maybe ultimately, I've been selling my own story short.

3 comments:

lauren said...

I've been thinking about this same thing, too! I'll have to look for that book. And we'll have to talk!

nettierox said...

i'm not big into reading--but you've peeked my interest!!

Antonio Droge said...

I am always rewarded by venturing into reading your blog. Nobody has told me about this book. I need to read it.