3.04.2011

The best days.

I woke up with this song in my head and keep playing it over and over.

It's not new. It's not especially cool. But I think it's cheery and just sentimental enough that I can't help but think of fun childhood memories:

-Sitting cross-legged in my PJs on the bathroom floor watching Mom put her make-up on in the mornings, totally and completely in awe.

-Belting out "Wild Thing" in my dad's old Ford pick up and thinking he is the funniest and smartest guy in all the land.

-Little brother's fourth? fifth? birthday where ON VIDEO I am caught in desperation for the limelight, snatching his birthday cards out of his chubby little hand and reading them aloud with great theatrics. (okay maybe not a fun memory for him but definitely hilarious footage)

And I recall sitting in my uncle's house a few months ago, him asking about our life and us wearily saying, "Yeah, things are good. Just pretty crazy right now..." and thinking I can't wait for this season to end and him, not really knowing our life season but still saying with authority, "Look, I know it may not seem like it but life just gets more complicated with time. Things may not be perfect now, but soak it up. You're living some of the best days."

And I know there are many great days before and behind us, but it sure is nice to be reminded once in awhile that in this world of rush! hurry! move forward! move faster! ...that where you are right now is a stop in your journey that will never quite be the same.

And to feel the permission to just put your feet up a minute and rest in that truth.

Happy weekend, friends!



p.s. My husband is totally going to give me crap for loving a Taylor Swift song. I may or may not have said snarky things about her in the past. For that I sincerely apologize. Now, Adam please stop rolling your eyes!

4 comments:

Katie said...

I have never heard this song. I like it. When I first saw the title of your post I thought you were talking about this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLUvO8QUmXc. And I was pretty confused until I clicked on your link and then searched this song and found that it is really Kellie Pickler.

Sara said...

Katie-- that is hilarious! I had no idea about Kellie Pickler...and couldn't even make it through the video b/c it was a little too much for me. But I'm glad you liked this one and also glad you'll still be friends with me after such a revelation. ;) Miss you!!!

Brian S said...

Yea that limelight of yours cast quite the shadow...hahahaha. but what uncle were you talking about? either way, excellent post...and check mine out too!

Sara said...

B-ri--You can thank me later. Unless you are still waiting for an apology...that is probably warranted. haha. Adam happened to SEE that footage and let's just say I never.hear.the.end.of.it. "you are such a big sister" etc etc. And Steve-o. Thank you and I WILL! :)