2.23.2011

Recipe: Cheery Cherry Streusel Bars

When Adam and I stop for candy before a movie*, our tactics could not be more different.

Me: Chocolate. Always. Maybe chocolate/peanut butter. Maybe chocolate/mint. Maybe even chocolate/raisins if I'm feeling crazy. But always always chocolate. Always.

Adam: Fruity. Sour. Basically your all-around gag fest, which is a major bummer when he offers to share and I DON'T EVEN WANT ANY!

This attitude carries over into the kitchen as well. However, since yours truly is usually the baker, you can guess which ingredient is a staple in our house.

Always.

UNTIL NOW!

Last week I was lucky enough to borrow a Better Homes and Gardens Favorite Bars & Cookies recipe book from my fab mother-in-law.

To be honest, I was a bit cookie-d out so I decided to go out on a limb and give these fruity streusel bars a whirl.

And man oh man, am I glad I did! I seriously cannot even tell you how many times Adam has stopped me to say, "Whoa. Best dessert ever. My favorite of all-time. I love this. ...did I mention this is my favorite?" And I loved it too!

So, I'm gonna go ahead and give it five stars and say GO MAKE IT!

Recipe: Cheery Cherry Streusel Bars
Source: Better Homes and Gardens


INGREDIENTS
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 egg
2 cups flour
3/4 cup pecans, chopped
1 10-oz jar of any ol' preserves you please


Optional topping: powdered sugar icing
1 cup powdered sugar
1 Tablespoon milk
1/4 teaspoon vanilla


DIRECTIONS
1. Preheat oven to 350ยบ
2. In a medium bowl beat the butter and sugar with an electric mixer on medium until combined.
3. Add egg; beat until combined.
4. Mix in flour.
5. Stir in pecans. Set aside 1 cup of the pecan mixture for the topping.
6. Press the remaining pecan mixture into the bottom of an ungreased 9x9 pan.
7. Spread preserves over crust to within 1/2 inch of edges.
8. Dot the rest of the pecan mixture on top of preserves.
9. Bake about 45 minutes or until pecan topping is golden brown.
10. Cool in pan. Drizzle with optional powdered sugar icing or cover with sprinkled powdered sugar. 

Optional topping directions
1. Combine powdered sugar, milk and vanilla in a small bowl.
2. Stir in enough additional milk, 1 teaspoon at a time, to make an icing of drizzling consistency.

...did Adam mention it's his favorite?!

*yes, to smuggle in...except now some movie theaters let us parade on in with candy in tow sooo alleviated conscience?

2 comments:

Austin & Terri said...

Sounds incredible!!

Sara said...

It's pretty delicious. (But I am still a chocolate girl at heart) :)