10.21.2011

Awkward wave.

Oh hi.

Remember when I (accidentally) lied to you about posting every day this month?

I hope we can still be friends.

You probably think I've had either a) a super-glamorous week full of all sorts of fun things that would make any Facebook stalker green with envy (OH WAIT! STILL NOT ON FACEBOOK!) or b) a super-awful week full of all sorts of terrible things that nobody wants vomited up to them in the form of a blog post.

The truth is it has been a fairly typical week. A healthy dose of good/bad which is rather unremarkable.

In fact, I even cheated and typed a whole post...and then deleted it. At least twice. I know!

And would you believe that I don't even have something grand to share with you today?! So rude of me. But let me catch you up to speed just for good measure:

-Been thinking about holidays. I know. ALREADY! Not so much about presents (okay a little bit though...what?! Like you haven't started a post-it of gift ideas for relatives that is in the back of your planner?! Oh. Me neither.)...but a lot about tradition. It's year two of marriage and I feel like we've been flying by the seat of our pants the last few years and let me go ahead and clarify that this is not the best way to go. It's been fun to think more intentionally about what do we want this day/season to be about? and how can we make this season more meaningful? I am pretty excited about a couple new ideas we've thrown into the mix. I'll keep you posted.

-Been reading like a maniac. When I was growing up, I always had a book in my hand. In fact, when I visited the library, I really can't remember a single time that I left without a whole stack teetering in my arms. Outside of my love for the Babysitter's Club (don't judge. p.s. I still heart Stacey!), I really didn't care what I was reading. (Well, as long as it was fiction.) It's been fun to make time for that again. I just finished a couple popular books and just last night I picked up one on a whim...and I already love it! And her! Too bad you don't get a free personal pan pizza for reading books as an adult...

-Been cooking some good stuff (thank you Pinterest). Pinterest is so tricky because you THINK you are being productive and even creative by just click-click-clicking your way through pretty things and great ideas and suddenly whaa?! I've been on here HOW long?! and then you shut down your computer and do nothing with any of those ideas. BUT. In the last week I have actually made three (THREE!) things from online recipes and I am not going to lie--that is a record for me and yes I am proud. Judge if you must. Here they are:

1. Shameless Copycat Starbucks Oatmeal Fudge Bars. YOU GUYS. Please, please, please find time to make these. I would offer to bring you some but...um...not a crumb survived.


2. Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup. This was pretty good. We just crumbled chips on top instead of the whole slicing-tortilla-thing because hello, if I can make something easier in order to watch more Parks and Rec on Netflix Instant THEN I SURE WILL. I think next time I will add corn as well.

3. Iced Pumpkin Goodness. This is embarrassing. I have no idea where I got this recipe. I would love to link to it...so if it is yours then please let me know! EDIT: This fabulous recipe is thanks to Amanda! Thanks for the reminder, Kristen!

Anyway, I made them. And they are good. (I should probably type "were" because by the time you read this I am sure I will be licking the crumbs off the plate but let's just try and pretend I have more self control than that, shall we?) Adam said they are less "cookie" and more "delicious top part of a muffin" but let's be honest, you don't really care much about semantics when it comes to sugary goodness now do you? (I will say that the icing was really thin. Probably baker's error. But just beware.)


Cookie ingredients:
-2 1/2 cup flour (I use half wheat and half all-purpose)
-1 tsp baking powder
-1 tsp baking soda
-3 tsp Pumpkin spice (OR 2 tsp cinnamon,1/2 tsp nutmeg and 1/2 tsp cloves)
-1/2 tsp salt
-1/2 cup butter, softened
-1 1/2 cup sugar
-1 cup pumpkin puree
-1 egg
-1 tsp vanilla

Icing ingredients:
-2 cup confectioners sugar
-3 Tbsp milk (maybe less, maybe more)
-1 Tbsp melted butter
-1 tsp vanilla

Directions:
1- Preheat oven to 350* F.
2- Combine flour, baking powder and soda, spices and salt.
3- Cream together 1/2 cup butter and sugar.  Add pumpkin, egg and 1 tsp vanilla...beat until creamy.
4- Drop by rounded spoonfuls onto cookie sheet.
5- Bake 15-20 minutes in preheated oven.
6- (while cookies bake) Combine confectioners sugar, melted butter and vanilla....add milk little by little until you reach desired icing consistency.
7- Remove cookies from the oven and place on cooling mat or rack.
8- Drizzle cookies with icing while they are still warm.

If you've made it to the end of this post pat yourself on the back.

And get out there and enjoy the weekend. I know I will.

3 comments:

Katie said...

I was seriously wondering when you were going to post again! And now that I am a pinterest addict, I was thinking that it would be such a good way to keep track of ideas for the holidays! Although I should probably start by booking tickets...want to pick us up from the airport at midnight again?! JK

And I loved BookIt too! That was pretty much the only time we got personal pan pizzas and I got to pick the topping I wanted not what my sisters made me eat! (I'm sure Brian has similar feelings.)

Calling you this weekend!

Kristen said...

I think the pumpkin goodness is from Amanda: http://benandasa.blogspot.com/2011/09/iced-pumpkin-cookies.html

We made them a couple weeks ago and they only lasted about 3 days :)

Sara said...

Katie--YES! Isn't it so addicting?! I knew you would love it. I haven't ventured into holiday pinning but I am sure I will soon. Calling you TONIGHT! :) (and Brian probably DID feel the same way but ONLY BECAUSE HE WAS THE FUSSY ONE!)

Kristen--Thank you so much!! I hate when I copy the recipe and forget to copy where I found it! :) Oh yeah. They are long gone. :) Hope you guys and your sweet fam are doing well!