6.14.2010

Interactive maps speak louder than words.

By now, we all know about the Great Oil Spill Debacle of 2010 and no matter what your stance on environmentalism, I think we can all agree that this totally sucks.

And also, that the response time of all parties involved has been heartbreakingly slow and everyone wants to point their fingers here, there and everywhere and see someone take the blame if nothing else because hey, we looooove drama and we haaaaaate big corporations so cue the media frenzy!

Amidst all this hullabaloo, the oil just keeps spilling and spilling and spilling and yet somehow, I was seriously shocked to actually see the projected oil spill on a map.

Assuming that maybe I'm not the only one who hears "oil spill" and somehow doesn't comprehend the severity of the situation, I thought I would share with you, friends.

I'd say enjoy...but it doesn't quite sound appropriate, now does it?





here.

**edit: also see here.

6 comments:

Brian S said...

And know whats really crappy? some say those visual projections are conservative. the damage may be much larger than even that...

ps. check out my profile on Fb. I found a funny parody about the BP fiasco...

Rebecca said...

Wow. Hard to take that in.

rachel rianne said...

broken heart.
everytime i hear about it.
which... is like... all the time.

Sara said...

Brian--yeah. that sucks. And I'll check it out...

Becca--totally.

Rachel--I know. It's hard to not become desensitized buuut I mean with a visual like that it's just unfathomable.

Antonio Droge said...

Sara, just read/skimmed your blog. Love it as always.

This situation is so disheartening. Everybody is blaming everybody. The government blaming BP, BP blaming its business partners, and of course Republican versus Democrat.

I'm just glad BP is being forced to foot the bill, even though they can easily afford it.

I listen to a lot of NPR these days (love it) and it is every other story.

p.s.- A new, more mature, wiser, "All That is Good" would be a brilliant idea. So you two Robertsons get on it.

Sara said...

Tony--I'll see what I can do. :)